Phil Cubeta’s House Rules
For Our Guests in Phil’s Virtual Home
- Please come prepared, if pre-work is suggested in the invitation
- Listen to understand, not to object or win an argument
- Speak truth in kindness
- Attack positions, not persons
- Avoid ad hominins (attacking an idea by attacking the kind of person who holds it)
- Seek to understand before seeking to be understood
- If triggered, ask forgiveness
- Forgive as you hope to be forgiven
- Respect confidences
- Forgive our dog, Lucy, if she barks during our call
For Phil as Host
- To create a welcoming space for thoughtful differences of opinion
- To welcome all professions and identities who come in civic friendship to achieve shared understanding with an eye to public benefit
- To “hold the space” and cordially disinvite any who might disrupt the well-being of the group.
Good Manners for Participants after Our Gathering
- Please don’t quote our conversations with attribution of specific views to specific participants unless you ask permission from that participant first.
- In other words, respect confidences and don’t embarrass anyone by quoting out of context and without permission.